Should Rajya Sabha be abolished ?

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Alok.nath, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Alok.nath

Alok.nath New Member

MP Chief Minister Shivraj said Rajya Sabha should be abolished since huge sums of money are being spent to become members making the Upper House like a "market"

In an apparent reference to liquor baron Vijay Mallya, Shivraj singh Chauhan also said people from "Kingfisher" are coming to the Rajya Sabha. Vijay Mallya has business interests in the Airline and Liquor industry among other sectors.

"Those who give funds to Political parties make a sort of investment and earn out of it later," the Madhya Pradesh chief minister said sarcastically.

"In my opinion the time has come to do away with the Rajya Sabha elections in which huge sums of money is spent by the candidates. In place of it, a quota should be reserved in Lok Sabha for Rajya Sabha members," Chouhan said at a regional consultation on electoral reforms organised in Madhya Pradesh Assembly.

"Huge sums of money was being spent by the candidates to become Rajya Sabha members," he said, adding that people with money power were in the race to enter the upper house.

"Sometimes Kingfisher people are reaching RS," Chauhan said, alluding to presence of Mallya in the House. "There is open selling of tickets, it is like a market. It is a shame," he added.

"In place of Rajya Sabha elections, the system of like nominating an Anglo-India as Member of Parliament should be followed," Chouhan opined.

Source : Shivraj Chouhan wants RS to be abolished, targets money power - The Times of India

2. Tigerr

Tigerr New Member

well i think steps should be taken to rather prevent corruption than abolishing any house. if the senior democrats think that it is mere waste of money of government in electing people in rajya sabha and paying them. effective strategies should be laid now for optimal usage of resources. government should not go on wasting money spree by continuing rajya sabha.

3. Idiotbox

Idiotbox New Member

amongst the two houses of the parliament rajya sabha is not of much use. the officials in the house just take their positions to get their salaries and status. the indian government is wasting money on this section and i think instead of the house government can create some other body using these resources like money and people. the body can be some independent working body like the FBI in US.

4. youthens

youthens New Member

In my opinion, Rjya Sabha should be abolished as it is just a waste of money of the Government and nothing else. Moreover, Rajya Shabha is just a namesake thing and has no role to play in the governance or any other functioning of the government for the development of the nation and moreover, the people nominated in Rajya Shabha are not elected by the people and it is truly a market rather than being the upper house.

5. seema

seema New Member

In my opinion, Rajya Sabha should be abolished as it is nothing just waste of money. Rajya Sabha is just a nominal house like the President of India, who is the nominal head. It is just waste of money by giving salaries to the members of the house. Moreover, by abolishing the Rajya Sabha, the money that is being given to the members as salary, will be saved and can be utilized for development purpose of the nation.

6. traveller

traveller New Member

Without any doubt, Rajya Sabha should be abolished as it is nothing but just wastage of resources. India is already running a fiscal deficit and I find not reason to have a superficial house, the Upper House or the Rajya Sabha and giving salary to the members who already earns in billions like Vijya Malia, just to mention. Instead, this money should be utilized in a better way for the development and prosperity of the nation.