Proud Indian NRI

Discussion in 'Indians Abroad' started by TheNRI, Apr 22, 2010.

1. TheNRI

TheNRI New Member

Proud to be Indian even though not born in India.Growing up in the United Kingdom in the 70s I did not really feel British. This was a time when right wing racist organizations generated a lot of support in their objection to a new wave of immigration. My parent's generation were brought in to do the dirty and difficult jobs that the indigenous population did not want to do. After all their efforts they were still not welcomed as equals.

Later in life I began to feel more patriotic about the UK and now consider myself British. Ironically at the same time I also feel more connected to my Indian roots then ever before. Part of this is due to the fact that most of my family did not emigrate and still predominantly live in India. Additionally I am excited by India's rapid rise as an economic superpower and a global force to be reckoned with.

I am new to this India Discussion forum and hope to connect with some of you here.

2. quizzycal

quizzycal New Member

The attraction of own soil

Most people living abroad would not have liked to call themselves an NRI if it was not for the rapid progress that India is making and evolving as a super power. Globally Indians are respected due to the qualities that general Indians have (except the racial attack issues) and NRI feel proud to be one of us. India has its own unique flavor abroad.