Indian students in the UK

Discussion in 'Indians Abroad' started by Suryavanshi, Dec 19, 2010.

1. Suryavanshi

Suryavanshi New Member

In the list of foreign students coming to study in England, Indian students rank the second. China tops the list. However, the difference is that the number of Chinese students in different UK universities is falling down from the year 2006 while the number of Indian students is increasing. Higher Education Statistics Agency of England estimated a 24% rise in Indian students in different UK universities in the year 2008. Now, there are more than 30,000 Indian students perusing their studies in different stream in different universities of the UK. There are several reasons behind the increase in number of Indian students in different UK universities. Some of them are

Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan

As a resident of commonwealth countries, Indian students are entitled for this scholarship plans. In this plan an amount of £27.3 million is provided to 2,300 students to peruse their higher studies in different streams in the UK. The major beneficiaries of these scholarships are the Indian students.

Familiarity with the English culture

Being under the colonial rule over more than 300 years, Indians have more familiarity with British culture compared to other citizens of other countries. The population Indians residing permanently in the UK is also sizable. Unlike Australia and some other countries, racial discrimination and misbehavior towards Indian students are not marked in England. Safety and security are the second most important reason that is attracting students who are wishing to continue their higher studies in foreign universities.

Advanced facilities and lower cost

As far as infrastructure and study atmosphere are concerned, The UK universities are one of the bests of the world. However, compared to universities of other countries, they charge a lower fee. Another factor that is driving more Indian students towards higher studies in the UK is the shorter duration of the course. As a result, total expenditure on study is in the UK for an Indian student is lower compared any other foreign university.

2. rekhagupta

rekhagupta New Member

No matter after all these facilities for indian students the condition of indian students is no less than a beggar. they are working as a labor on the petrol station, hotel and restaurants as as sweepers, just to earn few bucks. The level of living in UK is quite high and the economy as well so it becomes quite tough for a middle class indian to survive in UK. I have heard from my friends who are living in UK that they are treated as an alien or from some terrorists country and treated badly. So i don't think the condition is good in UK of indians.

3. Economist

Economist New Member

In terms of facilities given by the UK government is quite good to the indians but the indian students who are studying abroad have to work their as a part time employee in order to bear the high expenses of the country. The economy is just the double ad high in comparison to the indian economy. So to cope with the situation and expenses the indian students have to work on petrol stations, Pizza hut, as a hawker and also as a sweeper sometimes. So it is always good to be king then to be a servant.

4. abroaduni

abroaduni New Member

canada visa

I agree with rekhagupta fully that the condition of Indian students is very bad in U.k and they survive very badly there.I have heard the same from one of my friend,who is living in U.K,which you have heard about it from your friends.I think,Canada is the best place for studying for international students and the accommodation facility is very good there as well.