Famous Tourist places in Kohima

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Garv, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Garv

Garv New Member

A true paradise in literal sense, Kohima , Nagaland is one of the best spot for scenic beauty in the Eastern India and it has become one of the most popular tourist Place in India, both for the local Indian tourists and also the foreigners who want to get the true flavor of India of which they had only heard but had never tasted. Kohima is the dwelling place of the valorous Naga and the Kukis who inhabit this place. Though fierce to their enemies, Nagas are extremely welcoming to each and every tourist and they often give their best in upholding the culture and the heritage of their tribe as well as the place of their dwelling. It is spectacle to watch when the Naga warriors arrive, covered in black and red shawls or even red, black and yellow shawls with a white scarf on their forehead signifying their dominance over their enemies.

If a tourist really wants to get the taste of Kohima, then I guess, he should not miss to pay a visit to the beautiful region of Mokokchung which is known to be the prime dwelling place of the Naga tribes. This place is also considered to be the capital of the nagas and hence, you can get a hold of their culture in this region. You may get to see the temple of several Gods and Goddesses that they worship and also their elegant piece of handicrafts. One can also get a glimpse of the spectacular culture of the nagas by the help of the various festivals that they celebrate, by dancing and singing all night. Famous one among them is perhaps the harvesting festival of the Nagas known as the ‘Tsungrem Mong’.

There are also several museums around in this place, which upholds the ancient and historical relics, artifacts etc. and is a fun place to visit with the family and your young ones. I would prefer the tourist to pay a visit to the famous Kohima museum, which has got a brilliant display of the various items relating to the diversified cultures that dwelled in this land. One can find several stone carving and other items of handicrafts that remains in this museum as a live specimen of their existence. The museum is not far from the main city, and is well connected with all modes of transport. Hence, visiting this place by hiring a car from Kohima or simply via bus won’t be a problematic affair for any tourist.

2. Travelindia

Travelindia New Member

kohima is a place which is full of adventurous activites for the people who love extreme activites. one of them is the japfu peak which is famous for trekking and rock climbing. once you are at the top of this peak, the sight you will witness is awesome. however it depends on the season. it is the best to be viewed in the winter season.

3. Greatindia

Greatindia New Member

Kohima is the best package if you are looking for natural beauty along with some adventure and wildlife. Kohima offers wildlife sanctuary, Dzukou valley, Japfu peak where one can cherish the adventurous experience. There is also a Bara Basti which is believed to be the largest village of asia where one can find the art, culture, traditions of ancient nagaland still preserved well.

4. khushboo

khushboo New Member

I have not heard about this place before but I am sure that the place such a nagaland has many beautiful things and picturesque to offer to its tourists. This is simply an amazing place as far as i know and have heard from my friends. India has many beautiful places that includes Nagaland as well.