Advani challenges PM Manmohan to TV debate

Discussion in 'Politics & Society' started by Geetajain, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Geetajain

Geetajain New Member

Senior leader and prime ministerial candidate of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) L K Advani on Thursday threw down the gauntlet, challenging Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh to a live television debate like in the United States. But the big question is — will the PM accept?

Advani inviting Manmohan Singh for a debate said, "I am ready for a live TV debate as is the norm in the United States."

The Left threw in its hat as well and said that it can't be left out from the debate. The Left said that since India is not a bipolar democracy, debate between only two parties won't work. It said that other important political parties cannot be ignored.

Advani had earlier described Manmohan Singh as the 'weakest Prime Minister ever'.

Earlier in the day, firing another salvo in their war of words, L K Advani said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh should contest and win the Lok Sabha polls instead of taking the Rajya Sabha route after the Congress made it clear that he was the party's candidate to head a government.

"It is good that UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi has finally announced its prospective premier's name setting at rest a whirlpool of speculations," the BJP's prime ministerial candidate told an election rally in Seppa, Arunachal Pradesh.

But, Advani sarcastically suggested Manmohan Singh would be more acceptable to the common people if he becomes a Lok Sabha member.

Advani's comments came two days after Manmohan Singh made it clear that he has no intention to contest the Lok Sabha polls by pointing out that there were several prime ministers in the past who were from the Rajya Sabha and it was as per the Constitution.

The BJP stalwart has been pitching for a Constitution amendment that the Prime Minister should be from the Lok Sabha.

"I have just had a bypass surgery. I need time to recover. Therefore, I don't think I can right now jump into the election fray," Singh said in reply to another question with Gandhi by his side when the Congress manifesto was released on Tuesday.

source : Times of India

2. Michael Roger

Michael Roger New Member

Its not good that any Indian leader can debate to the other leader.Advanji is the big leader.They can not say any thing for the PM ManMohanSingh.